Monday, May 30, 2016

Bucket List of Races

Every runner has a bucket list of races they would love to run. For some it’s exotic destinations like the Great Wall of China, or an ultimate runners challenge like the Boston Marathon. I have a few races in my bucket, all of them in Canada, in cities/areas that I already have a connection too. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t love to one day travel far and wide, logging miles and collecting bling along the way. For now though, I’m keeping my bucket list more on the realistic side, complete with the dates I want/plan to run them.


  • April 2017 Fools Run - Gibson to Sechelt BC
    • My In-Laws live in Sechelt, and I think it is one of the most beautiful places in Canada. 2017 is the race’s 40th anniversary, which is why it’s on my list for next year and not later. It’s a point to point course, starting in Gibson’s (home of the Beachcombers) and finishing in Sechelt. I really want to do this race next year, but an April race means training through the worst weather months in Halifax, and that worries me. That, and I need to step up my game if I’m going to do another half so soon, since my plan is to stick to 5ks in 2016.
  • July 2017 -Epic Canada - Dartmouth NS
    • Double in a Day is a 10k race followed immediately by a 5 k. This is a close to home run that I’ve wanted to do for a while, I just never thought that I could run 15 k. But I ran 21 k last year, so I know I can do this!
  • October 2018 Niagara Falls Half Marathon - Niagara Falls ON
    • I love Niagara Falls. My grandparents lived there and I spent a lot of time there when I was growing up. I would fall asleep listening to the roar of the falls in the summer because their house was so close. This looks like a great half to run, not just because it is either completely flat or downhill. The end of October should have great weather too.
  • September 2019 - Oasis Zoo 10k Run - Toronto ON
    • What could be better than running past lions and tigers and bears? Oh my!
  • May 2020 - Blue Nose Marathon Halifax NS
    • This is my ultimate bucket race. I want to run my 1st (and maybe only) marathon the year I turn 50 and I want to do it close to home. The Blue Nose is such a great weekend in Halifax that it only makes sense that I choose it for this experience. Even though it’s 4 years away, every run I do is working towards this grand goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment