Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Miso

In my Christmas stocking this year I got some lovely cup of soup style Miso Soups. Just add water and you have a lovely mug of warm, comforting goodness, complete with squares of tofu and bits of seaweed. I’ve always loved miso soup, so having it to take to work seemed like an awesome idea. And it is!



One packet of Miso soup has only 35 calories. It’s certainly not a complete meal on its own, but it makes for a great mid afternoon snack, or an add-on to a lunch of cheese and crackers. Miso also has many health benefits. One study associates it with lowering the risk of breast cancer1. Other studies link it to weight loss2. Nutritionally it is packed with vitamins from the B family, especially B12 (on that I often suffer from a lack of), antioxidants and it is a complete protein3.

What exactly is Miso?

Miso is a paste made from fermented soybeans. While that doesn’t sound very appetizing , it has the texture of butter with a satly/nutty flavor4. It can be used in a variety of recipes, though the most commonly used for Miso soup.

Sources:

1)WebMd
2) LiveStrong
3) Care2.com
4) Natural News

Do you eat Miso?  What is your favorite recipe?

1 comment:

  1. I've never had miso soup... but the few times I've had tofu I thought I was going to die... lol was not a fan. That's cool though that you can take it to work! I don't know if we have anything like that here.... Our stores are severely lacking.

    ReplyDelete