Sunday, February 17, 2013

Weigh In February 17th

Starting Weight - 217 on January 1st, 2013
Current Weight - 204.8

Weight lost this week -  3.1 lbs

photo credit: Buzzle.com


I am loving the low-Carb approach to things!  I not only lost 3 pounds this week, I did it without ever feeling hungry or deprived.

I averaged 1815 calories each day which is slightly on the high side for what my goal should be.  The average would have been lower, but we splurged on a fancy dinner for Valentine's Day.  I also averaged 93 g net carbs a day (109 g carbs minus 16 g fiber) .  Considering my average before trying this approach was closer to 280 g net carbs a day, I think I've done well.  I don't think I could get as low as 30 g of carbs, which some diets suggest.  Given my weight loss results for the week, I really don't see the need to go that extreme at this point.

It was very interesting to not feel hungry or have any other negative effects from reducing carbs in my diet.  I was worried that I would hangry or head-achy all week, but I wasn't.  I had a good sized breakfast before leaving for work, small snacks throughout the day and a great dinner every night.  I also drank lots of green tea and water all day long, which I'm sure helped me to feel more full.  I did eat a lot more meat than I usually do.  Hilary indulged me by cooking pork chops, chicken, salmon and steak for me.  A meat with 1 or 2 veggies on the side makes for a very satisfying meal.  I also ate eggs, twice!  Hilary made a fabulous spinach frittata, one of the few ways the I enjoy eggs and on Saturday after TaeKwon-Do I even made myself an omelet.

We've decided to try another week of low carb eating.  It was not that difficult (or more expensive) to put together lunches for me to take to work, and Hilary doesn't mind the meat/veg approach to dinner.  The one thing that I am going to try to change up this week is my breakfast.  Instead of having oatmeal/quinoa with greek yogurt, which has 40 g of carbs in it, I'm going to try cooking myself some eggs (and maybe even bacon) for before I leave for work.  A 2 egg omelet has 1/2 the calories of the quinoa dish and only 1 g of carbs.  Win-Win.  Of course, cooking at 6:00 AM might be a challenge!


I owe a big thanks to my SIL for her fabulous suggestion!  If I can keep things up I may actually reach that elusive goal of 199 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment