Saturday, December 15, 2012

Motivation , Accountability and the Internet

Tribesports: Are you ready for the challenge?


Getting fit, eating right and working out can be hard.  Having people in your corner cheering you on can be the difference between sitting on the couch and getting up and moving.  I have amazing support in Hilary.  She helps with making good food choices by planning healthy meals and having fresh, great food in the house.  She also reminds to me exercise and go for walks and puts up with my hula-hooping on the Wii Fit in the living room.

In other parts of my life, the internet has been an important way for me to meet people, talk about topics that are near and dear to my heart and learn from people who have already been there and done that.  So it makes sense that I turn to the internet for weight loss and fitness (even though the fitness part seems counter intuitive) 

I track my calories on the MyFitnessPal website.  I really like the site as they have a great database of foods. But their forum never really appealed to me for a place to chat and get support. 

I joined the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans and for awhile they seemed like an okay place to hang out online.  They sponsored an opportunity for me to participate in the Healthy Wage Matchup.  But they never seemed to follow through on things  and the discussions weren't what I was looking for so I strayed away from them.

Then this week I stumbled upon a fairly new site, Tribesports.  While I don't consider myself a sports enthusiasts like some of their members do, that doesn't seem to be an issue.  I can track my fitness progress there, participate in discussions from weight loss to fitness to how my day is going and they also have exercise challenges that you can participate in.  The more active you are on the site, the higher your ranking.  But it's really the people that keep me going back to it.  I can post that I did 25 lunges and within minutes 3-4 people have "encouraged" me or left a comment telling me what a great job I'm doing. The instant satisfaction of knowing that  someone else is encouraging my progress is great.  I also feel accountable to complete the challenges I've signed up for, because people will see whether or not I have posted each day with what I've done.

This week alone I've been motivated to get up every morning and stretch, stay off Facebook, do lunges, planks and wall push ups.   And I feel great!

Tribesports encouraged this

No comments:

Post a Comment